I agree with the editorial in The Jerusalem Post today “Shut down UNRWA.” There are many reasons why the UN Relief and Welfare Agency (UNRWA) should be disbanded:
- It perpetuates the Israel-Arab conflict by keeping the Palestinians in a permanent refugee status, when it was supposed to be a temporary solution.
- The definition of refugee used by UNRWA is unique in the world in that it includes all descendants, children, grandchildren and so on, so that the number keeps growing, now up to supposedly 5 million, while the true number of refugees, those who actually left their country, is probably less than 50,000.
- The internally displaced Arabs in Gaza and the West Bank are NOT refugees, since they are still within the borders of their own country (“Palestine” as it was during the British Mandate).
- UNRWA has become a part of the Palestine National movement, supporting the aims of Fatah and Hamas. IT shoudl be called the UN Palestine Support Agency. Of the 11,500 people employed by UNRWA in Gaza, it is well-known that many of them are members of Hamas and Fatah and that they support and teach the ideas of terrorism, conflict, killing of Jews and martyrdom to the children in the schools they run
- Stores of guns and ammunition and entrances to attack tunnels have been found inside UNRWA facilities in Gaza
- The Muslim nations principally established UNRWA at the UN, but most of its funding comes from the USA (ca. one-third) and the West. So taxes paid by American and other Western peoples is being used to support the aims of the Islamic States (that are generally anti-American and anti-Western).
- The Palestinians are supported by a UNRWA welfare system and don’t manage for themselves and also this relieves the host nations (Lebanon, Syria, Jordan) from having to integrate them as they are supposed to.
- Palestinian refugees under UNRWA received from 3 to 10 times more money and support (food, education, etc.) as all other refugees in the world supported by the UN High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR).
- The Israel Government, and possibly the US Govt. under Pres. Trump, favor a move to support authentic Palestinian refugees by shutting down UNRWA and paying for them (much less) through the UNHCR like all other refugees in the world.
No-one has come up with a satisfactory explanation as to why the Palestinians deserve to be treated differently than say Syrian Arab refugees, who are currently much more numerous and deserving.