In our new home I have been looking for space to store things (such as empty suitcases) without taking up valuable space in the living area. It so happens that there is some “dead” space between our bedroom (which is entered thru a sliding doors) and the new addition. It seems that in Israel you cannot remove a window in a room that already has one, so there had to be a space left. But, since the space is quite long and the sliding doors never open on the left that is a space that is never used. I decided to fill this space with a plastic cabinet with doors.
I carefully measured the space and found that the maximum width of the cupboard could be 89 cm, not a round number. I went to the Ace hardware store in Beersheva and looked at the plastic cabinets displayed there and there was one, the deepest they had, that was – 89 cm wide! If I were a believing person I would have taken this as a sign from God. I bought the cabinet that came in a large cardboard box, to be assembled. Of course, the box was too big to fit into the back of my car, but I managed to get it in and used a bungee cord to keep the back door down.
When I started to assemble it that’s when the fun started. There were diagrams in lieu of instructions. I quickly found that there was only one way of assembling the bottom, the back and the sides. Then I assembled the doors and they went together, easily, a central strip with top and bottom panels. But I made the mistake of assuming that there was only one way to assemble the doors. When I attached them to the cabinet, I discovered that in fact I had attached the door panels on the wrong sides of the central strips. So I tried to remove the whole right door, but in doing so I managed to partially break a hook on the central strip that attaches to the cabinet. Disaster! But, after I had removed the door I fixed the hook with super glue and tape and when it hardened it was fine. But, having learnt my lesson I instead managed to detach the upper and lower panels on the left door from the central strip that was still attached to the cabinet by the hook and then switched the panels and lo and behold it worked fine. Then I attached the top and the cupboard was intact.
I still had to install the shelves. There were some tiny plastic dohickeys, four for each shelf. But how they attached to the shelf and then to the inside of the cabinet was a mystery. The instructions showed only a fuzzy diagram. After puzzling over this for two hours, I gave up. The following morning I saw immediately how the dohickey fitted on the side of the shelf. I put only one shelf in for stability. Then I shlapped the whole cabinet into the bedroom, out through the sliding doors (I had checked that it would indeed go) and into the space intended. It fit exactly, with barely a millimeter on each side. Furthermore, all the large suitcases fitted into it without problem. Now I can store some of my paintings in the place where the suitcases had been, and it’s inside the house so more suitable. One more victory for order over chaos.