The lampshade fell off the table light in our living room because the fabric joining it to the metal top had decayed. It was over 20 years old and because the fabric of the shade itself was fluted, it gathered dust. So I threw it out and decided to buy a new shade for the stand that is a beautiful purple porcelain wide twisted structure. I went to a nearby store and bought a nice replacement shade for NIS 150 ($40) (without fluting).
But, this is where the story really starts, because the new shade was a completely different construction from the old one. The old shade which was American, had a metal top that was level with the top of the shade with a central hole in it that was attached to a metal structure that supported it. The new one had a metal part with a central hole that was level with the bottom of the shade and needed no metal support, and the hole was much bigger.
I thought I could finesse these major differences and started to fool around with the electrical parts, but I quickly realized that not only was the old electrical fitting into which the bulb goes, much too small to hold the new shade, but it was also broken. I also discovered in trying to remove this fitting that to unscrew it I had to remove the bottom cover of the stand and unscrew the screw nut from underneath inside the stand, but I could not get my hand and arm all the way up into the stand, it was too long/high. So I gave up and took the whole thing into the store where I had bought the shade and showed the owner the problem. He said he could fix it and I asked him to replace the elctrical parts too. He charged NIS 50 for the work and NIS 50 for the parts, total NIS 100 ($26).
When I came back a few hours later it was all done, and looked good, but he had not yet attached the shade so that I could take it home more easily in two pieces. When I got it home and attched the shade I found that the electrical fixture at the top that holds the shade and the light bulb was loose. It jiggled around, and it became looser as I touched it. I discovered that the screw nut inserted underneath inside the stand to hold the electrical fixture in place was too large. I inserted my hand all the way up inside (and got a mark around my arm where it was too large to enter) but the nut would not stay on. I thought I would have to take the whole thing back to him again, but then I realized that I could simply remove the electrical part and take that back and show him that the screw nut did not fit.
I did this and he immediatley replaced it with one that did. So then I had to reinsert my arm into the stand again and replace the screw nut onto the base of the electrical connector and using a long thin headed plyers (not being able to see what I was doing inside the stand) I managed to place the screw nut on the thread and tighten it. Then I put the shade on and screwed on a light bulb and voila, there was light!
I could have bought a new lamp for the price, but there is pleasure in knowing that I managed to get it fixed (with some help) and I kept the beautiful stand. But, my advice would be, if this happens to you, stick the old shade back on to the metal top and make do.