As many of you know I am addicted to diy projects, particularly those that are trivial and require little effort. But, every diy expert also knows that even the simplest project has within it the possibility of a major catastrophe. Notwithstanding this knowledge I decided, after deep thought, to repair a cupboard that is standing in my front yard. The color of this cupboard is black.
It was replaced by a walk-in closet in our bedroom and we had no use for it. Also, the doors had been removed and the wood (chipboard) where the hinges had been was severely damaged. I had a handyman who was doing some work for me refit the doors and I decided the cupboard could be used for storage in the front yard. But, I noticed that there was a gap of about 2 cm between the doors when they closed and I had no desire to try to refit them. In a dream I realized that I could put moulding 1 cm wide on each door and then they would be in contact when shut. So today I went to the hardware store and bought two flat mouldings (1 x 2 x 240) and then cut them to length, and decided to spray paint them black before attaching them to the doors.
I had a spray can of black paint, but when I went to use it , of course it didn’t work. So I took the top off and used a toothpick to clear the holes. While doing this I thought, well maybe the hole into the can itself might be blocked, so I inserted the toothpick into the can itself. Very bad idea, a volcano of black paint sprayed all over the place. It sprayed on my hand and arm, and all over the nice white formica table as well as on a white chair and on the floor tiles. Oh, what a disaster!
But, undeterred, after trying to clean the paint and realizing that I could not, I retreated to painting the two mouldings with black paint, and then drilled holes in them and glued them onto the edge of each door and also nailed them on with small brad nails. That worked perfectly, and although the doors would not shut properly at first, I adjusted them via the hinges. Then I attached a spring connector to the top of the left door but a latch to the top of the right door because it was twisted and would not shut properly. But, the latch was right near the edge of the top of the cupboard where I drilled a hole, but had to remove the outside edge and put the metal latch hole in backwards (it’s too difficult to describe further).
Having finished this part of the project, I then had to find a way to clear up the mess of black paint sprayed all over the yard and furniture. I quickly discovered that alcohol wipes would not do the job, neither would turpentine, that usually removes paint. So I went to the pharmacy and bought acetone (nail polish remover) and this worked. But, it took a lot of “elbow grease” too, in fact at least two hours of hard rubbing with acetone to return the white table and chair into pristine condition. I could not get all the marks off the tiles, but they will probably wear out in time. I still have black paint marks up my arm and a few spots on my T-shirt (but luckily it was an old one).
Then I finally finished the cupboard by putting a waterproof cover (contact plastic) on the top and making a small overhang with some left over formica. So now the cupboard is useful for storage, but we’ll see if it survives the winter. I should have learnt my lesson, but probably not.
Correction: The series “The Crown” is produced by Netflix and not BBC as I stated.